Fire Safe Construction
We are devastated by what has happened as a result of the Thomas Fire, in Ventura and, now, Santa Barbara Counties. With offices and employees in both areas, we want to reach out to assist those that have been affected in any way we possibly can.
Having worked with numerous clients following the Painted Cave (1990), Tea (2008), and Jesusita (2009) Fires in Santa Barbara, Allen Construction gained considerable experience in helping homeowners navigate the insurance and building department process, realize their entitled insurance benefits, and expedite the rebuilding process.
Immediately following the Tea and Jesusita Fires, Allen Construction helped 66 homeowners recoup the maximum settlement amount from their insurance companies. In addition, we helped 33 homeowners rebuild the homes they had lost. Over the years, we have also assisted numerous clients who have lost their home due to a site specific fire.
In rebuilding a home lost to fire, or building a new home in a high fire area, Allen Construction can provide design and material suggestions to provide fire safe construction. Eliminating the “weak links” is the key to reducing a home’s susceptibility to fire. Our experience with fire-loss rebuilds in high fire areas and our research of fire-safe designs and products have given us the knowledge to guide our clients in the direction of fire safety.
Fire Safe Construction in High Fire Areas
We are proud to have helped many of our clients begin the rebuilding process after a fire, including navigating the insurance and building department process, realizing their entitled insurance benefits, and expediting rebuilding. We provide these services on an hourly basis under a pre-construction agreement, estimating in advance how long a requested service will take and how much it will cost. The client remains in control of each part of the process, and fees are credited back if the client selects us to do the rebuild construction work.
Allen Construction can offer you the following insurance-related services:
- Serving as a knowledgeable ally in your interactions with your insurance adjuster
- Reviewing your insurance policy and suggesting strategies to maximize your settlement (often in collaboration with the nonprofit CARE)
- Acquiring copies of your as-built plans from the county or city archives
- Preparing a complete, detailed estimate of current replacement costs—“like for like”—for your home
- Identifying all code upgrades that apply
- Working with landscapers and arborists to get a complete insurance settlement for lost or damaged trees and plants
- Engaging a structural engineer to evaluate footings and caissons for possible reuse
In January 2018, we will be holding two informative workshops for people who have lost their home to the Thomas Fire: How to Understand Your Insurance Policy and Navigate the Settlement Process. The first will be in Ventura on January 9. The second will be in Ojai on January 10. Please call Karen Feeney for more information or to RSVP: (805) 324-5721.
We can help with planning for the rebuild process through the following services:
- Demolition and erosion protection
- Setting up temporary power and utilities
- Offering suggestions for architects, engineers, and other experts
- Providing value engineering (getting the best of what you want for the budget you have available)
- Sharing our expertise to make your rebuilt home more energy-efficient, healthful, and fire-safe
- Working to expedite the process
Please contact Eric Johnson, (805) 896-7099 at Allen Construction if you are in need of assistance following the Thomas Fire. The direct number for Allen Construction’s Ventura office on Main Street is (805) 641-0839.
Top Tips for Fire Safe Construction
Fire Resistant Projects
Below are a few of the fire resistant new homes Allen built following local wildfires.