This remodeled commercial/office building is a combination of Spanish Colonial and contemporary industrial architecture. The project preserved the existing 3,810 square foot building (the former home of Hendry Blacksmith and Welding Shop and Dal Pozo Tires built in 1924) while adding a 2,565 square foot second story.
Numerous historical elements completed during the remodel include:
- A 24 foot tall tower – with classic Santa Barbara stucco walls and red tile roof – was repaired and restored.
- Original rolling, wood, barn doors were salvaged and now cover new, floor to ceiling, glass windows along the Cota and Fig Street sides of the building.
- Original corrugated metal siding from the Hendry’s portion of the building was removed, taken off-site for storage during the remodel, then brought back and installed at the end of the project.
- A restoration paint artist brought the original, historic Hendry’s company sign on the corrugated metal siding back to life by removing multiple layers of graffiti and grim from over 100 years of wear and, then, restoring it using five different colors of paint to match its original colors. – including yellow for the original wall color, black for the lettering, grey for exposed metal, and even adding a little rust here and there.
The team worked with the City’s Building Department and Historic Landmarks Commission to come up with a plan for the exterior shell of the building to provide both the necessary structural support while still allowing the replacement of the historic, corrugated metal siding. The building basically has two sets of framing: an inner shell with the steel frame, insulation and structure required by code and an outer decorative, wood frame that displays the corrugated metal siding.
New accents include warehouse barn light fixtures, metal frame windows with divided lights. The end result is a beautiful building that honors the history of the original structures.